Earth Advantage Institute, a nonprofit green building resource, compiled a list of green building trends to watch in 2012. The institute determined these trends in late 2011 after discussions with a broad range of sectors including policymakers, architects, homeowners and more.
Sean Penrith, Earth Advantage Institute’s executive director, said:
While the economy has not been kind to most new home builders, we have seen a surging interest in home energy management and energy improvement among homeowners. Those builders and remodelers who have adopted a transparent green message have been quite successful.
The trends include increased:
- Smart grid-compatible high-performance homes
- Broader adoption of residential energy ratings for homes
- More accurate appraisals
- Transparency in home marketing
- Energy education for commercial tenants
- Consumer friendly home energy tracking devices
- Deployment and testing of new materials
- Energy upgrades start to drive home remodels
- Green multifamily homes
- Urban density